- We use over 80,000,000,000 aluminum soda cans every year;
- It is possible to make 20 cans from recycled aluminum with the same amount of energy it takes to make 1 can from raw materials.
- Aluminum can be recycled forever with no loss of quality.
- If the States would recycle all their aluminum cans for one year, they could save energy to light Washington, D.C. for 3.7 years.
- The amount of aluminum currently recycled in the State in 1 year is enough to rebuild the entire American commercial fleet every 6 months.
- American use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour! Most of them are thrown away.
- Every year, American throw away enough paper&plastic cups, forks, and spoons to circle the equator 300 times.
- Because plastic bottles are shielded from sunlight in landfills, they will not decompose fot thousand of years.
- Recycling plastic saves twice as much energy as burning it in incinerator.
- The energy saved by recycling one glass bottle can light a 100watt light bulb for four hours or run a computer for 30 minutes or run a compact fluorescent bulb for 20 hours.
- Every month, Americans throw out enough glass bottles and jars to fill up a giant skyscraper. And all of the jars are recyclable!
- A modern glass bottle would take 4000 years or more to decompose, even longer if it’s in landfill.
- Recycling 1 tonne of mixed paper saves the energy equivalent of 185 gallons of oil.
- To produce each week’s Sunday newspaper, 500,000 trees must be cut down.
- The amount of wood and paper American throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
- Each tonne [2000 pounds] of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, 4000 kilowatts of energy and 7000 gallons of water. This represents a 64% energy saving, a 58% water saving and 60 pounds less of air pollution! [So why don’t we recycle ALL our paper?!?!?!?]